Thursday, November 22, 2012

Aspiring to be OLLIN!



The Best Gift
Have you ever received a gift that changed your life? I did! At Christmas time a very close friend of mine sent me a book. It’s titled “Aspire”, by Kevin Hall. Kevin found very unusual but powerful words and did an in-depth chapter on each one. This book was accompanied by a letter from my friend. She said it was a book to be savored not devoured. She also told me that one of the words really reminded her of me. It was “my” word. The word is “ollin”. It’s pronounced “all in”. The meaning of the word is as it is pronounced.
Security vs. Trust
Giving “it” your all. Whatever that means for you. For me, I had found myself without the security of a “job” for the first time in my adult life. I do remember several times when the kids were growing up; my job was being home and nurturing them. I chose to cut back my nursing to part time, or even took 2 years off once while I homeschooled. Mike always had income to care for the needs and my income at that time was for extras. This is not the case this time. Mike has been unemployed for the past several months to work on a home health coding certification and my income was enough to provide for the needs.
The Ollin Heart
According to Kevin Hall, the word ollin is an Aztec word. It represents holding nothing back. It represents giving it everything you have. Jumping into your situation wholly and without holding anything back! This has been a most exciting journey for me. I decided the very day I received the phone call from my employer in November 2011 letting us as contract nurses know our contract was being terminated that this was my call to make some changes. I decided that day to be “ollin”, even though I didn’t even know the word then. I had the heart of “ollin”.
This “ollin” road can be a lonely place because not very many people dare travel this road. It’s not secure, it doesn’t feel safe, and there is no map to show you the way. I would like to challenge quite the contrary is true. The road to “ollin” is probably the most secure place you can find yourself in. I remember how many times I felt secure in my job, almost like as long as I had my job God was a bystander in my life. He was on the sidelines, cheering me on as I rode out my life. The road I am not on allows GOD to be more than a bystander. HE is my source. He has always been my source, but somehow we often don’t see it that way when things are going well.
Peace vs. Fear
I was honored as my friend saw the attribute in me that I was “ollin”. I have such a peace. I am not walking around in fear wondering where my food will come from. Does this mean I will refuse a job that comes my way? No. What I am not doing is scurrying around, putting in applications all over, and worrying about the future. I am moving forward writing, holding classes, and connecting to people in my business. What I AM is open to what GOD has in store for me. This may mean a part time or another education job in addition to what He is doing in my business, or He may have plans as all this comes together in my passion to change lives through my business alone. I am “ollin” as God is no longer a bystander but my pilot in whom I have complete trust and peace!
What areas of your lives do you need to be “ollin” right now? If you have chosen to be “ollin”, can you describe the peace that surrounded this decision? How did this look for you as you “let go” of what you had always felt to be security? Do you need to make the decision to be “
Joyce Harrell, RN, OCN is a Christian wellness coach who empowers self-acceptance, balanced, and purposeful living. Joyce is passionate about essential oils and implements in all areas of her life. She utilizes Kaizen (small steps) principles from a 12 dimension wellness program to promote permanent change. Joyce is married with 3 adult children, and 5 grandchildren. You can connect with me at theessentialnurse@gmail.com or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/essentialnurse 

No comments:

Post a Comment