Thursday, November 22, 2012

My Health Journey





Have you ever thought of your life as a journey? I am pretty much an open book. What you see is what you get. So, I will just open up, and start sharing. This has certainly been an exciting journey for me. Life, that is. I was born and raised in Columbus, Ohio and have lived all over the United States during my married adult life.

 I remember how thin I was growing up and how I desperately wanted to put on just a few pounds. Skinny was the term I remember. Being tall, another favorite teasing nickname by others was the Jolly Green Giant. Funny, unless you were on the receiving end.

Baking was a favorite pastime and since I didn't gain weight with anything I ate, chocolate cake became my favorite. And I did eat chocolate cake. Chocolate was probably one of my favorite foods. (still is if the truth be told) The weight gain did not catch up with me until after the birth of my third child. I just never lost all the weight. As a matter of fact, my slow creep up to the top started then. He is 23 now. I still joked about it being my baby fat. I didn't eat all the time, and I didn't even eat much at a serving. It was what I ate.

The carbs! I loved the carbs. I didn't want to love the carbs, but I did. I even would eat healthy most of the time, but there was always room for dessert. Dessert was always the priority. I just didn't understand the very simple truth of insulin resistance. At different times in my adult life, I lost the weight, and put it back on again. Health was very important to me, but I just could not shake the dessert thing. Pasta was also a weakness. Chicken Alfredo with Pasta. The other pull. I wouldn't even gorge on it. I could never even finish an entire meal. It was what I was eating.

Several months ago I discovered a very commen sense approach to eating. The Low Glycemic Index program helped me break the addiction to high glycemic carbs that I had been so accustomed to. I decided to live it! The program was very healthy. No fad dieting. Just learning how to eat healthy, and follow a low glycemic plan. I no longer crave the pastas, and desserts. Ice cream every once in a while is a treat. However, now instead of eating a huge bowel, I am able to eat a serving. A great side effect of eating healthy has been a 30 pound weight loss. I exercise, and make sure I am using a well rounded plan of supplementation to fill in the gaps!

I use essential oils and supplements packed with essential oils now! Lovin my life! What about you? Have you made any changes lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment