Thursday, November 22, 2012

Is Your Self-Talk Measuring Up?



When was the last time you walked past someone and they were talking to themselves? It’s a strange sight for sure. This is exactly what I am going to suggest you do! According to the Word, “death and life are in the power of the tongue”, Proverbs 18:21. A new buzz word is affirmation. I want to talk about affirming yourself.

What does it mean to affirm? Encarta World Dictionary puts it this way: – declare something to be true: to declare positively that something is true – declare support for something: to declare support or admiration for somebody or something – confirm something: to confirm something as binding or valid How do those definitions make you feel?

To affirm is to strengthen a positive truth. Is your self-talk affirming, or does it tear you down, put you down? We all have self-talk. My self-talk had been mostly negative through the years. Not early on. If you watch most children, they are in love with the world and in love with self. They have no inhibitions in communicating how they feel about self. When did this stop? When did the negative self-talk start? Was it the first time someone made fun of you?

I used to think everyone else except me had it together. A few weeks ago I saw an interview with Penelope Cruz. She was very uncomfortable talking about herself, because she didn’t see herself on the inside as the beautiful woman that we all see on the outside. I thought “wow, if Penelope Cruz doesn’t have an inner confidence, who does”? Having real confidence doesn’t puff up the ego. To me, it is just a state of “being”. This is a state where negative talk has no negative effect, and compliments don’t puff up the ego. It is just a state of appreciation of truth.

I have a favorite scripture from the Psalms I learned as a child: “I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; that I know very well”(Psalm 139:14). So, really, if God, our creator, wrote that we are wonderfully made, shouldn’t we think that of our-selves? OK, so if you have negative self-talk, you need to change that. How does one change that? Replace the negative words with positive words. Write on a big piece of paper, and put on your mirror “I am wonderful”, I am worth”, I am loved”. It feels strange at first. Continue the habit, and slowly the negative words are replaced with the positive.

I have affirmation cards. They are pretty, and they are true. How can I help other people if I don’t care for myself? That’s easy! I can’t! I carry these cards with me, and I am replacing negative with the positive. I am fearfully and wonderfully made! What about you?

Joyce Harrell, RN, OCN is a Christian holistic nurse who provides natural solutions to common health problems. Joyce utilizes the art of nursing by implementing essential oils, herbal simples, wellness coaching, and nutritional therapy to help you create an environment for your body to best heal.

Joyce is a wife, mother, nana, author, holistic healer, and above all committed to her relationship with God. You can find Joyce at theessentialnurse@gmail.com  
Or conncect with me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/essentialnurse

No comments:

Post a Comment