Thursday, November 22, 2012

How Do You Handle Stomach Discomforts?


Do you ever listen to TV commercials when prescription medications are being advertised and the speaker lists all the possible side effects? Seems sometimes those side effects listed just goes on and on and on and even lists things like death and possible suicide ideations as side effects?

My friend Carla and I were on the phone a few days ago. She is also a nurse and we were discussing proton pump inhibitor drugs. These are drugs for stomach acid reflux. Carla informed me of something I did not know. All PPI drugs are now labeled with a warning. The warning is related to higher rates of a type of diarrhea called c. difficile infection. This is a type of diarrhea that can create serious intestinal issues and is not easily gotten rid of.

Acid reflux and gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD) are very similar. This occurs when the acidic enzyme juice of the stomach is able to slip past the valve located at the very top of the stomach and enter the esophagus which is alkaline. You feel a burning sensation. This can occur if you lie down too quickly after a meal, weight gain, overeating, having a hiatal hernia, from some types of medications, and some foods also contribute to this.

I am a nurse, so I am not telling you to avoid your physician with this condition. My disclaimer is that I do not diagnose, treat, and give medical advice or cure. However, I personally choose to try a more natural solution before seeking medical attention and asking for a prescription. I’m currently 54 years old and I am not on any OTC or prescription medications. I’m blessed and I know I’m rare.

We were discussing risks versus benefits of the PPI drugs. Personally, I don’t like the idea of having the overgrowth of c.difficile consume my intestines. I‘ve been a nurse a long time, and I know from dealing with patients in the hospital what that smells like and the complications that occur. It requires, of course, more medical intervention by way of prescriptions drugs. Do you ever notice that drugs are prescribed to help with the side effects of other drugs, and it starts this vicious cycle of polypharmacy?

I have in my library of natural health books, many suggestions to help with acid reflux. I personally use essential oils with many symptoms. There is an essential oil blend I use called Digestzen. You can put a drop or two in a gel capsule along with a drop of ginger, wild orange and peppermint. I have actually just added a drop to water and stirred it really well and just drank it. Sometimes I use just peppermint. Sometimes peppermint helps and some people say it makes their reflux worse. It works for me though!

I also keep papaya tablets in stock for myself which helps with digestion. Mike and I use something called Stomach Comfort which also helps. I have a wonderful library of symptoms cards which tell exactly what herbs/essential oils are good for that particular symptom.

Ezekiel 47:12 “And by the river upon its bank, on this side and on that side, shall grow all trees for food, whose leaf shall not fade, neither shall its fruit be consumed: it shall bring forth new fruit according to its months, because the waters flowed out of the sanctuary: and its fruit shall be for food, and its leaf for medicine.” My belief that God created medicine for us through nature is mentioned in this verse. Plants, herbs, essential oils, fruits and veggies were all created for our health and healing.

You can also avoid or limit these foods or items: alcohol, carbonated drinks, coffee, chocolate, garlic, onions, citrus, tomato, spicy, fatty foods, or tobacco. My idea is to promote awareness and empowerment. When you are educated you have choices. When you are not educated and empowered with all possibilities you are at the mercy of the knowledge or belief base of your practitioner to make your health care decisions. Ultimately, we are in charge of our own health.
Again, I am not promoting that you avoid your physician and his/her recommendations. I am promoting that you educate yourself

You can contact me to discuss any of the essential oils or herbals I mentioned in this article. You can email me at theessentialnurse@gmail.com or find me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/essentialnurse   for more information. I personally use Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils from doTERRA. You can obtain these oils as a wholesale consumer and save $$$.

 Joyce Harrell, RN, OCN is a Christian holistic nurse who provides natural solutions to common health problems. Joyce utilizes the art of nursing by implementing essential oils, herbal simples, wellness coaching, and nutritional therapy to help you create an environment for your body to best heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment